[wplug-announce] GUM 12/13/2008 - Bash, shells, and bragging rights.

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 22:02:40 EST 2008

Hello,

The Western Pennsylvania Linux User's Group will be having a General
User Meeting on December 13, 2008 at the Wilkins School Community
Center.

http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20081213

The meeting will promptly start at 10:00am.  Our featured presentation
will be at 10:30am.  Greg Alheid will speak about shell scripting.  If
you have any questions in advance, add them to the wiki page.

After Greg's talk, we will be having a little friendly competition -
who's got the best .bash_profile or .bashrc.  Here's how it works.
Create a login for yourself on the WPLUG wiki if you don't already
have one.  Then, create a wiki page User:Yourlogin/.bashrc or
User:Yourlogin/.bash_profile.  For the contents of that page, add
[[Category:.bashrc]] at the top, and put a single space before each
line if you don't want the wiki to try to format your file.

Here's an example:

http://www.wplug.org/wiki/User:Mhs/.bashrc

If you use csh or zsh or fish or whatever, that's great.  Just make
sure its in the .bashrc category so it shows up in the list.  At the
meeting, we'll go through them, and informally grade them for style,
flamboyance, utility, etc.  We'll take a vote to see who has the best
one, and the winner will get either a $15 gift card from a coffee
shop, or all the Visual Basic references on my book shelf.  If we can
get together some more swag, there may be a prize for least
obfuscated, most obfuscated, etc.

One rule -- for this competition, you can't cheat and look at other
peoples posts on the wiki to bolster your own entry.  We're on the
honor system.  However, after the competition, we'll consider all
entries GPL, and anything you can steal is fair game for the next
competition, whenever we have it.

If you have some swag you'd like to donate, great.  Let me know (off-list).

See you there,

Mike

email - mhsemcheski at gmail.com
irc / freenode: mhs