[wplug-announce] Table Topics: What do you get for free? 4/23 7:30pm John Havard's Wilkins

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:35:21 EDT 2008

Western PA Linux User Group will be meeting in the on Wednesday April
23 at John Harvard's Brew House in Wilkins Township
7:30pm until 9pm. All are welcome. RSVP required by emailing
bethlynneicher at gmail.com or follow the signup instructions below.

The topic will be "What do you get for free?" The meeting facilitator
will be Beth Lynn Eicher.

"Table Topics" meetings are a relaxed environment where we discuss
current Linux and Open Source issues. A facilitator picks a topic and
prepares questions for those gathered to generate conversation. New
Linux users and the curious are encouraged to attend.

Much of Linux and open source software is possible due to the efforts
of people who create products and services without getting a paycheck
for doing so. This is accomplished by individuals, communities, and
corporations. Why do people do what they do for free? Are there other
benefits or other currencies that are exchanged? Can a project that is
currently free become a for-profit company without angering the
current user community? Can a project that is currently commercial
become free software without losing the user and customer base? How
can a for-profit effectively company use free community resources?

Signup Instructions:
Purchase is not required but keep in mind that we will not have any
complimentary refreshments. If you want something to eat or drink you
are on your own. We do require RSVP because we have reserved the party
room. The management needs a headcount to setup the room. You may
email me at bethlynneicher at gmail.com or signup on the wiki with your
name and how many guests if any you will be bringing. The wiki url is
http://linode.wplug.org/w/index.php/Meeting-20080423

"The Shops at Penn Center" is a shopping plaza slightly west of
Monroeville Mall in the Wilkins Township area / Monroeville business
district exit. It is on the same side of the road as the mall.

Address:
The Shops at Penn Center
3466 William Penn Highway
Pittsburgh, PA 15235
tel 412-824-9440

url: http://www.johnharvards.com/locations.htm#pa

Hope to see you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher

Start the discussion on the wiki
http://linode.wplug.org/w/index.php/Meeting-20080423

PS: Note that we have fixed the wiki. If you had an account before it
has been deleted. Sorry. The userpages are still present but the
username/passwords were wiped out. Just create a new account with the
same username as before and you will get the same userpage as before.
If you didn't have an account before, take this opportunity to create
an account now!