[wplug-announce] GUM: Linux Demo Day Feb 4 10am-2:30pm CMU NSH 3002

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Feb 1 15:40:44 EST 2006

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring Linux Demo Day. It will be held on this Saturday
February 4, 2005 from 10am to 2:30 pm  at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 3002. This meeting is free and open to the general
public. No RSVP required.

PLEASE NOTE THE NEW LOCATION: Newell Simon Hall 3002
Visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our new phone number is 412 268 4998
Make sure to print out the directions!

GUM Topic: Linux Demo Day
This is a special meeting for those who've never used Linux before and
would like to know what it's all about. Please forward this to your friends
and colleagues. This is part of a series of events aimed toward new users.
Please see the Demo Day website for more information
http://www.wplug.org/demoday

Speakers: Vance Kochenderfer, Beth Lynn Eicher, Mike Hansell, and David Ostroske
Host: Bill Moran
CoHost: Scott Kriebel

ABSTRACT:
So you've heard of Linux but maybe you're not sure of what it is. Linux is
an operating system like Windows or MacOS. On Linux Demo Day, we will show
you what Linux is all about. Many Linux applications will be demoed. Most
of the software that we will be showing off comes with Linux when you
install the desktop environment.

No background in Linux is assumed. We are starting at the very beginning.

You Can Do It!
You can have freedom from computer viruses
You can have freedom from computer spyware
You can have freedom from expensive upgrades
You can join the Free Software revolution
Come see Linux in action.
Meet people who use Linux everyday.

Free raffle of an Linux computer - only open to those new to Linux
For those who are new to Linux we will have a free pizza lunch.
Everyone else who wants to join us for lunch will be asked to contribute
$5 to pizza.
Free Linux software for all who attend.

Schedule:
10:00 AM: Doors open - coffee, OJ and donuts served
11:00 AM: Presentation begins with Vance: The very basics of what Linux is
11:30 AM: Beth Lynn: Business Applications - Email with "Evolution", Word
Processing, Spreadsheets and Presentations with "OpenOffice"
12:00 Noon: Lunch
1:00 PM: Mike: Entertainment Applications - multimedia, games
1:30 PM: David: Home Applications: Web Browsers, Image Editing with "The
GIMP", Internet radio, etc
2:00 PM: Social time
2:30 PM: Adjournment

See you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Vice Chair

Upcoming Events...
Linux Basics Tutorial: Saturday February 11, 2006
Installfest - Help installing Linux for the 1st time: Saturday March 4, 2006

For questions about this event or about WPLUG, please contact
info at wplug.org