[wplug-announce] First annual membership meeting - Schedule and fun details

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Fri Nov 4 13:33:27 EST 2005

Hello,

WPLUG will be hosting our first annual membership meeting on November 5,
2005 at 10am to 3pm at Carnegie Mellon University in Newell Simon Hall
1507. This meeting is free and open to general public however only members
of WPLUG who were admitted before 10/2/2005 will be allowed to vote in the
board election.

For details about voting, the election, WPLUG membership, matters of
transition, and canidates...
Please visit the voting page http://www.wplug.org/vote
We also have a list of the members who are eligible to vote on 10/5/2005
on the website so if you are not sure if you are a member, please check
the website to see!

Attention: There are additional activities besides the election
on November 5. We want this to be an enjoyable day for all attendees.
         \/ Please scroll down and read the schedule \/

In lieu of a main speaker presentation from 11 to noon, we will have
Lightning talks. It will be short 5 minute uninterrupted talks about
anything that may be of interest to the WPLUG audience.
The talks and topics are as follows:
Patrick Wagstrom will give two talks, "Linksys wrt54g routers" and
"Vitalization"
Beth Lynn Eicher will talk about "WPLUG History"
David Ostroske will talk about "SQL"
Vance Kochenderfer will talk about "The Open Pitt"
(but they will not necessarily fall in this order)
We still have room for 5 more talks! We will welcome impromptu speakers
on the day-of so please feel welcome to come with something to talk about.
Anyone, even non-members of wplug, are welcome to contribute a talk.
Each speaker will be rewarded with a prize from the WPLUG swag vaults.

After the talks we will have a free lunch for everyone who attends!

Around 1pm we will get to business of the election. We need at least 13
members to be physically present at the annual membership meeting for the
election to count. Please try to make it to the membership meeting if at
all possible. We will have a raffle to reward members who show up and cast
their ballots at the November 5 meeting. There are currently 58 members
and there are 4 prizes. That means if everyone shows up to cast their
ballot one could have a 6.89% chance of winning.
Here are the prizes:
   - Small plush Tux doll
   - Small plush FreeBSD daemon doll
   - Tux coffee mug
   - Tux lapel pin
Note: these prizes are different from the prizes that will be given to
lightning talk speakers.

There are a few members who have indicated that they can not make it
this Saturday however they can still vote by giving your ballot in a
double-sealed envelope to someone who is going to the meeting. Ballots that
were sent in via the US mail will be counted as long as they arrive today
(November 4, 2005).

After the polls close, we will have fun and games as the votes are
tallied. We are playing the card game "Chez Geek." We welcome others to
bring in games from home. Before adjournment, the next board of WPLUG will
be announced.

This is a meeting for *you* that is members of WPLUG and all who enjoy
WPLUG. Therefore, we would like to hear from you as to how to make the
first annual membership meeting a great experience for everyone. Please
send your suggestions to wplug-plan at wplug.org Since wplug-plan at
wplug.org is a separate mailing list, please subscribe first or else it
will be held for moderator screening.

The schedule for the annual membership meeting will go as following
10am - 11 am coffee and donut hour
11am - 12 pm Lighting talks
12pm - 1 pm  Free lunch: Sandwiches, Rigatoni, Chicken, Cake!
1pm - ? Election of Board Candidates, Tellers Selection, Last Call for
Ballots, Counting of the Ballots, and announcement of the new board of
WPLUG.
1pm - 3pm Fun and games
3pm Adjournment

Thanks and hope to see you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher

************ Do not reply to wplug-announce at wplug.org ********************
************ please send responses to wplug-plan at wplug.org ***************
If you wish to send your questions or comments off-list, you may send mail
to info at wplug.org

Please note:
WPLUG will continue to take applications for membership.
http://www.wplug.org/membership
If you wish to become a member at this time, please note that you will not
be eligible to vote in the 10/5/2005 election. Please see the Bylaws and
Proviso page for the official reasons as to why this is so.
http://www.wplug.org/pages/bylaws and http://www.wplug.org/pages/proviso

Upcoming Events
November 5 10am-3pm, annual membership meeting
November 19 10am-5pm, installfest