[wplug-announce] Next Meeting: GUM Review of Five Distros July 9 10am-2pm

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Fri Jul 1 15:08:53 EDT 2005

Hello,

This is a pre-announcement for the next wplug meeting which will be held
on July 9, 2005 at 10am to 2pm at Carnegie Mellon University, Newell Simon
Hall 1507. As always, this meeting is free and open to the general public.
No RSVP required.

There will not be a July 2nd meeting because it is a holiday weekend.

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the
directions!

GUM Topic: Review of Five Distros
Speakers: Vance Kochenderfer, Jonathan Billings, Beth Lynn Eicher, Duncan
Hutty, and Bill Moran
MC: Chris Ott
Host: David Ostroske
CoHost: Michael P. O'Connor

Abstract:
In a celebration of Open Source diversity, we will feature Five
Distributions (aka "Distros") for 10 minutes each:
Vance Kochenderfer - Mandrake
Jonathan Billings - Fedora Core 3/4
Beth Lynn Eicher - Knoppix
Duncan Hutty - Gentoo
Bill Moran - FreeBSD

This is not a debate as to what is the best distro. Each speaker will
demonstrate the purposes in which their favorite distros excel. This
presentation is appropriate for those who are just getting started as well
as those who have used Unix for years. Who knows? You may want to try a
new distro at the July 16 installfest.

Schedule:
10am doors open to Newell Simon Hall 1507
10am-11am Donut and Coffee Hour
11am-11:10am Introduction to Distros with Chris Ott
11:10-12:00 Featured distros presented 10 minutes each lightning-talk
style.
12:00-12:10 Q&A for our speakers and MC
12:10-1pm Pizza Lunch
1pm-2pm Social Hour in 1507
1pm-2pm Bylaws Committee
2pm Adjournment

More information about this meeting will be posted on the following url as
it becomes available...
http://www.wplug.org/meetings/one-meeting?wp_meeting_id=3182

See you There!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming Events...
Saturday July 9, 2005 from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm GUM "Review of Five Distros"
Saturday July 16, 2005 from 10:00 am - 5:00pm Installfest
Sunday August 7 Annual Picnic
Saturday August 13 GUM topic TBA

If you have questions about wplug or it's events, please email us at
info at wplug.org