[wplug-announce] GUM w/PghSAGE: Sat 8/13 1pm-5pm NSH 1507 "Cheap Security Audits with Linux LiveCDs"

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Aug 10 16:22:23 EDT 2005

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group and Pittsburgh System Administrators' Guild
(PghSAGE) will host an afternoon meeting this Saturday August 13, 2005. The
time will be 1pm to 5pm. The place will be Newell Simon Hall (NSH) 1507. We
will open at 1pm with light refreshments. The talk "Cheap Security Audits with
Linux LiveCDs" will begin at 2pm. This meeting is FREE and open to the general
public. You do not need to be a member of WPLUG, SAGE or USENIX to attend.
Please feel free to invite your colleagues.

To confirm, the meeting will begin at ONE O'CLOCK in the afternoon.
If you show up before then, you will find WPLUG bylaws committee discussion.

Please visit our "Maps and Directions" page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the directions!

Speaker: Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Hosts: Bill Moran and David Ostroske
PghSAGE Host: Esther Filderman

"Cheap Security Audits with Linux LiveCDs" Talk Abstract:
We will explore easy ways that a system administrator can perform a security
audit utilizing Linux-based Live CDs. Examples of common exploit detection will
be given. This talk will be practical for any size site - including home
networks.

SCHEDULE
* Doors will open at 9am to NSH 1507
* 9am-Noon Bylaws committee discussion in NSH 1507
* General Users Meeting and Pittsburgh SAGE Meeting officially begins at 1pm
light refreshments served in NSH 1507
* 1pm-2pm General Socialization and WPLUG and PghSAGE announcements in NSH 1507
* 2pm "Cheap Security Audits with Linux LiveCDs" talk in NSH 1305
* 3:30ish Q&A and socializing in NSH 1305
* 4:30 tear-down in NSH 1507 and 1305
* 5pm adjournment

Please try to arrive by 2pm since the talk is in around the corner
in 1305. Just in case, Evelyn Chao will greet latecomers and usher
them to 1305.

See you there!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming WPLUG Schedule...
General Users Meeting "Linux on an Xbox" September 10 10am-2pm Installfest
September 17 10am-5pm
Ohio LinuxFest 2005 Columbus, Ohio October 1, 2005
http://www.ohiolinux.org/register.html

Please reply to info at wplug.org if you have questions about this event or
about WPLUG