[wplug-announce] GUM Sat May 9 10am-2pm "Managing a Small Open Source Project" CMU NSH 1507

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Fri Apr 8 11:53:15 EDT 2005

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring "Managing a Small Open Source Project." It will be held on
this Saturday April 9, 2005 from 10am to 2 pm  at Carnegie Mellon
University, Newell Simon Hall 1507. This meeting is free and open to the
general public.

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the
directions!

GUM TOPIC: "Managing a Small Open Source Project"
Speakers: Warren Dukes
Host: Beth Lynn Eicher
CoHost: Mark Dalrymple

Topic:
Do you have a small program you wrote and would like to make it available
to the world? Or ever got an itch to write some code to solve a problem?
Or are you just curious how exactly the open source works? I'll be
presenting my experiences in managing a small open source project, Music
Player Daemon (http://www.musicpd.org). The topics of discussion will
include publicizing an open source project, picking a license, building a
community, supporting users, and working with developers.

Schedule:
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507 * Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am
* "Managing a Small Open Source Project" talk 11am-Noon
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm
* Organizational meeting
    	- Bylaws Committee 1pm in NSH 1505
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-plan/2005-January/001183.html
* General Socialization 1pm-2pm in NSH 1507

See you there!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming Events...
Special Event: Joint meeting with PghSAGE "Flying Linux" April 30 1pm-5pm
Installfest: With Demos and other goodies from pcclub.com May 21 10am-5pm
General User Meeting:  "Subversion" May 28 10am-2pm
General User Meeting: "Myth TV" June 4 10am-2pm
Special Event: Popular Demand "Regular Expressions" June 11 10am-3pm