[wplug-announce] Tutorial Linux Basics CMU NSH 1507 10am-3pm

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Jun 7 23:17:48 EDT 2004

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a free Linux Basics Tutorial.
It will be held on this Saturday June 12th 2004 from 10am to 3 pm  at
Newell Simon Hall 1507. This meeting is FREE and open to the general
public. Please feel free to forward this invitation.

Please visit our "Maps and Directions" page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the directions!

Speaker: Beth Lynn Eicher
Host: Mark Dalrymple
CoHost: Duncan Hutty

ABOUT THE TUTORIAL- LINUX BASICS
The tutorial will be a brief yet through overview of the Linux operating
system. If you would like to get started and you would like a cram course
in the basics, this class is for you. Maybe you took the plunge and
installed Linux however you feel like you are drowning in a sea of
information. Fear not, we are here to help.

You may bring a computer along, but one is not required. We will be
demonstrating a distro called KNOPPIX with allows you to boot directly
from the cdrom into a fully-functional Linux operating system without
effecting the current contents of your hard drive. You can follow along
with your own system to enhance the experience or just sit back and
watch. If you do choose to bring your system, make sure to bring
everything (monitor, keyboard, mouse, power cords, power strips, etc.).
We do have carts available to help you move your stuff into Newell Simon
Hall 1507. Please be considerate and arrive before 11am with your computer
so that we can get started at 11am sharp.

We encourage all to RSVP especially if you are bringing your computer.
However, if you did not RSVP, please come anyhow.
Those who RSVP to <bethlynn at wplug.org> will receive a free Knoppix CD.

If you have any specific topics of interest or questions you would like
addressed at the tutorial, please e-mail them to Beth Lynn.

TOPICS WE WILL COVER
* Choosing a distribution
* ISOs, were to get them and how to burn them
* Filesystems and permissions
* Using the command line
* Installing programs - rpms and tars
* Kernels and bootloaders
* Security suggestions
* Basic desktop usage
* Using Knoppix as a rescue disk or as your main Linux desktop

SCHEDULE
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507
* Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am
* Linux Basics tutorial part I 11am-Noon
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm in NSH 1507
($5 is suggested for pizza contribution)
* Linux Basics tutorial part II 1pm-2pm
* Knoppix hands-on 2pm-2:30pm
* General Socialization 2:30pm-3pm

See you there!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming Schedule...
Saturday July 10 10am-5pm Installfest
Saturday July 17 10am-2pm GUM Topic TBD
Sunday August 8 1pm-6pm 3rd Annual WPLUG Open Source Picnic
Saturday August 14 10am-2pm GUM Topic TBD