[wplug-announce] GUM: Docbook - Sat Dec 4 10am-2pm Newel Simon Hall 1507

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Dec 1 15:15:49 EST 2004

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring Docbook. It will be held on this Saturday
December 4, 2004 from 10am to 2 pm  at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 1507. This meeting is free and open to the general
public.

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the
directions!

GUM TOPIC: Docbook
Speaker: Mark Dalrymple
Host: Beth Lynn Eicher
CoHost: Jonathan Billings and Duncan Hutty

Topic:
DocBook provides a system for writing structured documents using SGML or
XML. It is particularly well-suited to books and papers about computer
hardware and software, though it is by no means limited to them.

In short, DocBook is an easy-to-understand and widely used DTD. Dozens of
organizations use DocBook for millions of pages of documentation, in
various print and online formats, worldwide

MarkD will talk about DocBook, some of its history, and how he used it to
author several technical books.

Schedule
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507
* Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am
* Docbook talk 11am-Noon
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm
* Organizational meeting
   	- elections planning 1pm-l:30pm in NSH 1505
* General Socialization 1pm-2pm in NSH 1507

See you there!

Beth Lynn

upcoming events...
December 11 Tutorial Kernel Configuration
January 8 Installfest & Elections
January 15 User-Mode Linux