[wplug-announce] Meeting Tomorrow, 1/4/03

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Fri Jan 3 12:54:36 EST 2003

Good day!

Well, tomorrow will probably be better.  WPLUG will be hosting a
General User Meeting from 10am until 2pm in Carnegie Mellon
University's Newel-Simon Hall, room 1507.  The focus of this meeting
will be to ring in the new year, WPLUG-style.

There will be a series of lightning talks presented by.. well, by
whomever stands up.  For those who don't know lightning talks are a
series of very short presentations, rants, or opinions.  Basically
there is a certain amount of time alloted for each person, usually no
more than 5 minutes, but we can decide on a time limit at the meeting.
People can volunteer to give presentations in any order, and no real
preparation is required, although it isn't prohibited.  Topics for a
lightning talk could be "Look at this cool feature in KDE", "How to
save the world in emacs", "Why vi(m) is so much cooler/better/l33t3r
than emacs", "How Linux will take over the world", "Why Linux doesn't
need to take over the world" or "Why I hate this bunion on my foot".
Basically the topic can be informative, funny, critical, or whatever
else as long as it is related to Linux and/or WPLUG.

These talks are most successful if there is a lot of participation from
everyone at the meeting, so even if you don't actually do any
preparation, it may be helpful to at least think of a few topics you
could talk about.  You will also of course be inspired to stand up and
talk as the meeting gets swinging!

As usual, directions and maps are available on the website, and if you
need more assistance in getting there, you can email me personally,
zman [at] wplug [dot] org.

See you there!!

Zach || The uber-board || monkeybot's nasty bunion || the web
development team that is now hard at work on the next generation of
wplug.org || zman's busted motherboard