[wplug-announce] Tutorial Sat 12/13 GDB

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Dec 9 10:33:37 EST 2003

Next Saturday, December 13, 2003, WPLUG will be hosting a tutorial
session in Carnegie Mellon University's Newel-Simon Hall, room 1507
from 10am until 3pm. As always, this meeting is open to the general
public.

A map of our location can be viewed here
http://www.wplug.org/image/map-color.png
A supplemental map can be viewed here
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~bethlynn/wplugmap/

Topic: GDB: Gnu DeBugger
Speaker: Mark Dalrymple
Hosted by Beth Lynn Eicher
Co-Hosts: Bill Moran and Brian Sammon

Abstract...
GDB, the Gnu Debugger, is a programming tool that helps you locate
problems in your programs.  The WPLUG tutorial will cover gdb,
how it works, gdb's  commands, and debugging techniques.  Feel
free to bring your computer (and all the necessary parts and pieces)
and your own debugging problems.  After the gdb introduction, we can
dig into your code and find out what's going wrong.

gdb is used for compiled languages like C, C++, Objective-C, Ada,
Fortran, not for scripting languages like Perl or Python.  gdb is
available for many unix platforms, such as Linux, *bsd, Darwin,
Mac OS X, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

This session is presented by Mark Dalrymple, author of Core Mac OS X
and Unix Programming, and teaches unix programming at the Big Nerd
Ranch.

If you'd like to get a head start, check out his introduction
gdb at MacEdition:
http://macedition.com/bolts/bolts_20030210.php

The schedule for the meeting will goes as follows...
10am - 11am Donuts and other goodies
~ 11am Pizza orders will be taken. ($5 is the suggested contribution)
11:15-12:15ish GDB Talk Part 1
12:15-12:45 Geeks eating pizza.
12:45-1:30 GDB Talk Part 2
1:30-2:55 General socialization.