[wplug-announce] GUM Sat 12/06/03 - CVS

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Dec 3 17:31:38 EST 2003

Next Saturday, December 6, 2003, WPLUG will be hosting a general users
meeting in Carnegie Mellon University's Newel-Simon Hall, room 1507
from 10am until 2pm. This meeting, as always, is open to the general
public.

A map of our location can be viewed here
http://www.wplug.org/image/map-color.png

Topic: Concurrent Versions System aka CVS
Speaker: Bill Moran of Potential Technologies
(http://www.potentialtech.com)
Hosted by Beth Lynn, Co-hosted by Rick Smith

Abstract....
"A Revision control system is a powerful tool that anyone can use in their
everyday work.  Additionally, revision control is an essential part of any
Open Source development project.  We'll cover the most popular software
for this job, CVS, and show how anyone can use it to keep track of their
work and recover from mistakes.  We'll also examine the aspects of CVS
that anyone using Open Source software should be familiar with, and
briefly review some alternatives to CVS."

The schedule for the meeting will goes as follows...
10am - 11am Donuts and other goodies
~ 11am Pizza orders will be taken. ($5 is the suggested contribution)
11:15-12:15ish CVS Talk
12:15-1:00 Geeks eating pizza.
1:00-1:30 Hot topic du jour.
1:00-2:00 General socialization.
2:00 Meeting is called to conclusion.

Hope To See You There,
Beth Lynn

PS... We have an supplemental map which is in beta which has been
crafted all from suggestions from members like you.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bethlynn/nsh1507.jpg

"1507" labels the best door to use to get you into our room. Just
open the door and you are there.
D1 labels the second best door to get you into our room. The
door is locked on the weekends so you will have to call from the
campus phone 8-7579
D3 labels the door of last resort. it gets you into the building
but on the 3rd floor, not the first floor where you ultimately want
to be.
"Park Here" labels where you can usually find the best parking.
On Saturdays, you can park anywhere on campus for free unless the
sign specifically says 24-7. I don't believe that there are any
24-7 signs in this area.
This map favors those traveling East on Forbes (from Oakland toward
Sq Hill). If you are traveling West, just make the left immediately
after Hamburg Hall. You will drive through the open gate, past the
huge crane and look for parking on the East or South end of Newell
Simon.
Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions
bethlynn at wplug.org

PSS... We are going to set aside time at this gum (and at future
gums too if all goes well) a special time for the hot topic du jour.
It seems without fail there is something that arises of great
interest which may or may not be related to the talk that most
of you want to discuss. This is an attempt to organize this discussion
so that everyone who may be interested may participate. The hot topic
du jour will only be as good as you make it so geeks, please don't let
us down!