[Penguins-care] Wikipedia Selection for Schools 2008/9 is excellent

Dave Sevick dave at davesevick.com
Sat Feb 19 23:11:09 EST 2011

I wanted to take a minute to thank Max Gelman of the WPLUG for the suggestion to use the Wikipedia Selection for Schools 2008/9

http://schools-wikipedia.org/

I found this 3.97GB (3.5GB compressed) free download to be quite useful and cross-platform for Mac, PC and Linux use as a local "encyclopedia".

Welcome to this Wikipedia Selection. This 2008/9 Wikipedia DVD Selection is a free, hand-checked, non-commercial selection from Wikipedia, targeted around the UK National Curriculum and useful for much of the English speaking world. It has about 5500 articles (as much as can be fitted on a DVD with good size images) and is about the size of a twenty volume encyclopaedia (34,000 images and 20 million words).
Wikipedia is the free encyclopaedia anyone can edit, and develops accurate content but suffers vandalism. Wikipedia is not necessarily a childsafe environment and has "adult" content. This selection of topics have been carefully chosen, tidied up, and checked for vandalism and suitability (by SOS Children volunteers, whom we gratefully acknowledge). We also gratefully acknowledge the Wikimedia Foundation for their support and their agreement to our use of the Wikipedia logo, and tens of thousands of contributors to Wikipedia who have written and researched the content in the first place, including this year adding content where gaps in the school curriculum were not covered.
The content is available for free download from the SOS Children website or as a 3.5GB free DVD. The content includes a shortened copy of the SOS Childrenwebsite with details of projects in 123 countries. This selection is also browsable online at http://schools-wikipedia.org/ . The content is covered by various disclaimers and licences.
Dave Sevick
Apple Certified Support Professional
Helping people use technology in Pittsburgh
Western PA, WV, OH MD ... Since 1988

724.779.0099 mobile/office
dave at davesevick.com
http://www.davesevick.com