Revision as of 03:25, 25 April 2009 by Vance (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, July 30, 2007, 7:30 PM


  1. Minutes from Previous Meeting
  2. Officer Reports
    1. Chair - Patrick Wagstrom
    2. Vice Chair - Vance Kochenderfer
    3. Secretary - Bill Moran
    4. Treasurer - Mike Hansell
    5. Member at Large - Beth Lynn Eicher
  3. Committee Reports
    1. Program
    2. Public Relations
    3. Internet
    4. Investigating
    5. Newsletter
    6. ErieLUG
  4. Unfinished Business
  5. New Business

Items for Discussion[edit]

  • Open Source Picnic -- What needs to be done?
  • InstallFest on 8/11
  • Marketing WPLUG
  • Resources to Internet committee
  • Informing committees about process

Meeting Minutes[edit]

  1. Call to order at 7:38 PM
  2. Minutes approved with minor edits
  3. Officer Report
    1. Chair
      1. Weirdness with summer slam: We were only listed on some invites. A small group of WPLUGers showed up. Vance sent Jared a thank-you. This seems a good event for WPLUG to attend. Distinctive clothing is more or less mandatory (otherwise we just blend in). Seems wise to have a strategy for next year, since evangelism and job hunting seem contradictory to each other. It may be possible to put up a table for next year. A Summer Slam wiki page might be worthwhile.
    2. Vice-Chair
      1. One query regarding Erie LUG was passed on to Bill/John. Another regarding Linux/PPC was referred to the mailing list/installfest.
    3. Secretary
      1. 35 Members in good standing at this time
      2. Will be sending out messages to all members regarding renewal dates
    4. Treasurer
      1. Have received information from Beth.
      2. Now have official letter of cancellation from Paypal
      3. Tracking accounts by paper at this time
      4. Mike is well-prepared to hand over paperwork to new treasurer
      5. Need to renew PO box soon
      6. $531.98 in bank account
      7. Beth/Mike/Bill signed bank signature card
      8. Account will continue to require only 1 signature on checks
    5. Member at large
      1. Accepted new member at last GUM.
      2. Gave PO box key to Mike
  4. Committee reports
    1. Program
      1. Last month's event went well with 18 attendees
      2. Host should always formally thank the speaker. We should send thank-you letters (may still have some -- look for them at installfest.
      3. Picnic
        1. Lack of signing-upness on the wiki.
        2. Beth is leaving early (5:30) so someone else needs to take care of cleanup -- Vance volunteers.
        3. Have nothing to grill and nobody has volunteered to grill
        4. Bill to send out picnic reminders
        5. Would be beneficial for everyone to contact someone personally
      4. Installfest
        1. Coding dojo is a go
        2. Confirmed room 1507
        3. Patrick may make it
        4. We have lots of Ubuntu CDs
        5. Beth will demo Ubuntu install. RSVP to Beth if you're coming.
        6. Beth verified the 10:00 - 5:00 PM time is correct
      5. No topic for Sept meeting yet
      6. Need to start sending out emails pimping OLF and other events. This year is WPLUG's 10th anniversary. We should have a cake or something.
      7. We should organize our stuff into event-specific boxes
      8. Ted Rogers is interested in doing a crash course for the LPI exam
      9. "Pittsburgh Linux Fest" -- we can get $4000 from Pitt if we form a "club". First get the stuff in place at Pitt, then can move forward. Timed for next spring.
    2. PR
      1. Advertisements with Pitt news: We seem to feel the benefit is not worth the cost.
      2. City paper may be willing to give us a free plug. Mike to investigate.
      3. We need new business cards: Vance to investigate.
      4. Activities fair at Pitt is coming up in Sept. Good place to set up a table.
      5. Software Freedom Day. Vance has created a flier. No organized plans yet. Dave Kraus has been working with the SFD international peole.
      6. T-Shirts successfully distributed.
      7. Survey is "hanging around"
    3. Internet
      1. Slicehost is a 2-man firm and did not return Beth's calls. The snapshot feature is the only advantage of slicehost. Beth will speak with Mike S. regarding these concerns.
    4. Investigating
      1. Nothing has been heard regarding the recent incident.
    5. Newsletter
      1. July issue is ready. Material requested for next month.
      2. Kiddix: Vance pursuing inteview
    6. ErieLUG
      1. URL has been transferred to ErieLUG.org
  5. Unfinished business
    1. It's important to inform committees of the required processes. Mike S. needed some explanation of the funding process.
    2. Mike is making progress toward getting us a tax ID.
  6. New Business
    1. Vance will do an IRC session on the picnic this Wednesday.
    2. Patrick will do an IRC session on OLF and what to do for WPLUG's 10th birthday
  7. Next meeting on the 20th. Patrick will not be in town, teleconference will be needed.
  8. Adjourned 9:37