Western PA Linux User Group Installfest
What: An installfest is the perfect opportunity for you to try out Linux on your computer and see what others are doing with Linux. Those who just want to see what Linux is about can enjoy the program. No experience with Linux or computers is required.
When: The date of the installfest is Saturday June 6. The library is open 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. therefore the hours of the installfest will be 10:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
Where: Brookline Library on the Children's floor meeting room.
At the installfest you can...
- Bring in your computer from home and install Linux with the help of the area's leading experts. Help with configuring additional hardware or software on a pre-installed Linux machine is also available.
- Get a free copy of Linux that you can take home and experiment with on your own time and at your own pace.
- Play family-safe free games that you can take home and use on your own computer.
- See what others are doing with Linux and free software in your area.
- Learn how Linux and free software can help your home, non-profit, or business.
- Get advice on how to get started on Linux on your desktop, laptop, or server when you are ready.
All of this is FREE!.
The Program - No experience required!
- From 11 until 12 P.M. we will show how to configure filters to keep your children safe while browsing the internet with Firefox.
- From Noon until 1 P.M. we will demonstrating "Qimo 4 Kids" which is a distribution of Linux for young children. This is a nice setup for those who just want some simple games. Qimo has no internet access which means you do not have to worry
- From 1 P.M to 2 P.M. we will boot a Linux Live CD and play some family-friendly games.
No experience with Linux or computers is required.
Those attempting an install
Bring your computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cables. A computer that is less than 5 years old with a cd drive and network card is highly recommended.
Internet access local area network will be provided for those who are installing or configuring free and open source software.
Wireless internet is available to anyone with a library card. Ask the library staff for details.
Show up sooner rather than later allow yourself enough time to accomplish a complete install. The last install will start at 1:30 P.M.
This is a list of supplies and distributions that we will have available at the installfest.
Supplies: One usb/ps2 keyboard Ethernet cables
Distributions: Kubuntu 8.10 CD Linux Mint 6 DVD OpenSUSE 11.1 DVD
How to help - Sign up here
LAN setup - move equipment into the building, turn on switches, deploy power and ethernet cables in a responsible manner starting 10 A.M. or as soon as we can get into the building. 1. Your name here 2. Your name here 3. Your name here
LAN cleanup - turn off switches and pack up wplug equipment. All people and stuff must be out of the building by 4 P.M. sharp. 1. Your name here 2. Your name here
Technical support staff - these are people who are willing to field questions in your area of expertise. You will wear a name tag. Your name and area of expertise will be posted conspicuously inside the meeting space. 1. Your name here. I can help with ... (basic desktop installs, wireless configuration, web server setup) 2. Your name here. I can help with ... (distribution selection, mythtv, voip, open office and word processing) 3. Your name here. I can help with ... (sound configuration, obscure hardware, graphics software) 4. Your name here. I can help with ... (usb drive configuration, virtualization, programming tools) 5. Your name here. I can help with ... (<the name of your favorite distro>, Wine, printer/scanner setup) 6. Your name here. I can help with ... (Linux gaming, disk partitioning, configuring a modem) 7. Your name here. I can help with ... (Upgrading your hardware - memory, DVD drive, an additional card) 8. Your name here. I can help with ... (Laptops, databases, Linux command line, networking, CD burning)
Refreshments - reimbursements will be provided for breakfast pastries. Note that we do not have access to refrigeration at this venue. 1. Your name here. I am bringing ... (morning beverages such as OJ or coffee) 2. Your name here. I am bringing ... (morning snacks such as pastries or cereal bars) 3. Your name here. I am bringing ... (anytime snacks such as fruit, nuts, or boiled eggs) 4. Your name here. I am bringing ... (afternoon snacks such as chips or popcorn) 5. Your name here. I am bringing ... (afternoon beverages such as water or pop in iced cooler)
General cleanup - make sure we don't make a mess. This entails cleaning up after the food and trash management. 1. Your name here. 2. Your name here.
What do I need to do to attend
If you just want to see the program, just show up! If you are planning an installation and you have questions before the meeting, email events AT wplug DOT org.